DeForrest Judd (1916-1993)
graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Art in 1938 and received a
to continue his studies at the Institute in 1939. From 1940 to 1942
Judd studied at the Colorado Spring Fine Arts Center under the
center’s director, Boardman Robinson, and Texas artist, Otis Dozier.
During World War II Judd served in the United States Army. His
academic career as professor of painting, drawing, and design began
in 1946 when he moved to Dallas to teach at Southern Methodist
University and the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts. In 1967 Judd was
promoted to full professor at SMU. He retired from the University in
Judd continued to live in Dallas and devote his time to art
until his death in 1992.
Judd’s work reflects his study of
nature: mountains, lakes, rocks, flowers, cactus, Gulf Coast, and
scenes of everyday life that were painted or drawn in a
semi-abstract form that made bold use of color.
Judd received numerous awards for
his work, and while teaching at SMU his work was featured in many
one-man shows in Texas including the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts
(1946), Southern Methodist University (1950, 1965, 1969, 1981),
Elizabet Ney Museum (1952), Sul Ross State College (1957), Texas
Tech Museum (1959), Fort Worth Art Center (1962), and the Beaumont
Museum of Art (1971). His work was also exhibited in art centers and
museum exhibitions around the country including the Metropolitan
Museum of Art (one of twelve artists selected for the exhibition
American Painting Today,
1950), Denver Art Museum, Cleveland Museum of Art, Colorado Springs
Fine Arts Center, and the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts. Judd’s work
was also accepted into the permanent collections of the Cleveland
Museum of Art, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, Dallas Museum of
Fine Arts, and
Southern Methodist University.